Applied Machine Learning Manager, Ads
- At Etsy
- About the Role
- About You
As an Etsy employee, you can do the work you love, be yourself, and make an impact in the lives of millions. Our commitments to diversity and inclusion, team culture and the spaces where we work all reflect our mission to keep commerce human. Job Description
This is a full-time role located in San Francisco, CA or Brooklyn, NY. Our offices are currently closed due to COVID-19, and thus you will start/work remotely until it’s safe to return.
Etsy is looking for a tech-savvy manager who can lead a team of Applied Scientists and ML Engineers to drive the machine learning strategy for Etsy’s internal advertising product, with a focus on reinforcement learning and deep learning approaches. You will lead a team that is a part of the Applied Science Group, whose mission is to build customized machine learning applications to drive innovation and optimize business values for the Etsy marketplace. To learn more about Machine Learning and Applied Science at Etsy, check out https://dsml.etsy.com.
In this role, you will drive the vision and roadmap for optimizing ads ranking and retrieval algorithms, helping our sellers grow their reach to relevant buyers with their advertising budget and giving them the confidence to invest in our advertising platform as an effective business strategy. As a leader of the team, you will work with product and engineering partners on a cross-functional team to translate industry state-of-the-art research into deployable ecommerce products. As an applied science manager, you have experience in people management and providing professional development, while also having solid machine learning and engineering skills in order to drive the technical vision and stay connected to the details. We also expect you to have relevant leadership and communication skills needed to excel in a fast-paced, cross-functional, and delivery-driven environment.
Example projects you will lead:
- Increase CTR of ads through SOTA first and second pass ranking algorithms
- Create a portfolio of bidding strategies for optimizing different seller’s goals
- Improve the mechanism for pacing the depletion of sellers’ advertising budget
- Devise offline simulations for complex auction mechanisms
What you will do:
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship in ads ranking and relevance algorithms
- Communicate to executives and drive the strategy of ML innovation
- Lead technical discussions, be a subject matter expert and have strategic influence
- Define the roadmap and supervise its execution
- Cultivate a strong applied science culture, responsible for delivering business results
Who you are:
- You are an experienced leader who brings both technical acuity and leadership skills to build a high-performing applied science team.
- You work effectively on cross-functional teams with leaders in different disciplines (product, science, experimentation and engineering).
- You keep learning and always seek to improve yourself. You are curious about new opportunities and act to explore them.
- You are familiar with trending and state-of-the-art technology in adtech and machine learning.
- 2+ years of experience in leading applied science or machine learning engineering teams, especially in the areas of online advertising and/or reinforcement learning.
- 2+ publications at top-tier conferences, such as WWW, WSDM, KDD, or SIGIR.
- Experience in building Ads-related products for e-commerce with engineering leaders
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical individuals
- M.S. in Computer Science or related engineering/quantitative fields or equivalent
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.