The new way of making friends in pandemic times: The MatchFamilies App
If there was one thing from your “before corona” life that you wanted to get back as soon as possible, what would it be?
Since humans are social creatures, for many people the answer is simple: “My social life!”
What is the most important thing in your life?
Indeed, according to Harvard’s Study of Adult Life Development, “close relationships with friends and family are what keep people happy and help them to live longer lives”, more so than money or fame. And this is precisely what the coronavirus pandemic has had a negative effect on.
For expats, having a circle of friends to a great extent determines one’s quality of life in a new country, because “home” is not necessarily a place, but more the people surrounding you.
However, for more than a year, the traditional ways of meeting new people and making friends (through kids, colleagues, interest groups, sports clubs and so on) have been severely limited. Which begs the question: what can you do nowadays?
MatchFamilies: A new way of making friends
This app was launched at the beginning of March 2021, and since then hundreds of families and couples in Germany have started using it. Why?
- It’s free: Who doesn't like that?
- It’s easy: It takes less than five minutes to register and create a profile.
- It’s quick: Once you’re registered, you’ll immediately be able to find families and couples nearby who are also looking to meet new people and make friends.
- It’s comfortable: You don’t need to think, “Oh, are they open to get in contact?” They are - that’s why they are using the app, just like you!
- It’s precise: You can find families or couples of the same age, with common interests, who speak the same languages or come from the same countries as you, with kids around the same age; and they may live just a block away from you!
There’s almost definitely a family or a couple (or several!) living in your city that is a great match for yours. But how would you find them? What are the chances of your paths ever crossing? How long would it take?
With MatchFamilies you can do it in less than five minutes - isn’t that cool?
“A friend may be waiting behind a stranger’s face.” ― Maya Angelou
Created for expats, by expats
MatchFamilies was developed by MatchFamilies UG, a German startup founded by an expat. Their server is located in Frankfurt, which makes the app a safe place for storing and protecting your personal data and pictures.
Their team is constantly working on enhancing the app and introducing new exciting features (for instance, the ability to ask questions, share tips, invite others to events, playgrounds or walks, join communities, and more!)
Build a bond, chat with each others, and plan cool events for the future together with your family. It’s time to build connections that will make you happy and give you another reason to look forward to tomorrow.