Importing & Exporting vehicles in Germany

Importing & Exporting vehicles in Germany

Importing & Exporting vehicles in Germany

Whether you’re wanting to bring your own car with you from abroad, or just want to take advantage of lower vehicle prices in different countries, there are many reasons why you might consider importing or exporting a car in Germany. There are, however, some things you need to take care of, including taxes, safety inspections and registration.

Taxes on imported cars in Germany

If you import a vehicle (Kraftfahrzeug) to Germany, you may be required to pay import duties and VAT. Whether you are liable depends on where you bought the vehicle, its condition, and where you live.

Importing a new car within the EU

New cars that are bought in a different EU country and imported into Germany are subject to 19% VAT (USt). A vehicle is defined as “new”: if:

  • It has been in use for less than six months, or
  • It has been driven for no more than 6.000km.

If you have already paid VAT on the car in the country where you bought it, it must be refunded.

Importing a used car within the EU

If you import an old car to Germany from another EU country, you do not have to pay VAT on it. (An “old” car is defined as one that has been in use for more than six months, or has travelled more than 6.000km). You will, however, be required to register the car in Germany and pay the associated registration costs, insurance and vehicle taxes.

Importing a car from outside the EU

If you bring a car to Germany from outside the EU, you are liable to pay an import duty of 10% of the car's value, plus VAT, unless you fulfil all of the following conditions:

  • You are moving to Germany as a full-time resident.
  • You have given up residency in your home country.
  • You have been residing outside of Germany for at least 12 consecutive months prior to your arrival.
  • The vehicle is registered in your name.
  • You do not sell or export the car for 12 months after importing it.

Registering your imported car

If you are only staying in Germany temporarily, you can continue to use your own number plates and registration documents for 12 months, as long as you have a German translation of your registration documents and proof of coverage from a car insurance provider. You may also have to submit your car to a TÜV examination that assesses its roadworthiness and whether it conforms to German standards.

If you are staying in Germany long-term, you need to register your car to get German licence plates. You will also be required to pay vehicle taxes, get car insurance and submit to vehicle inspections (TÜVs) every 24 months.

Exporting a car from Germany

If you have bought a vehicle in Germany and wish to export it to a non-EU country for private use, you must make a customs declaration.

If you are going to be exporting the vehicle on its own wheels (i.e. drive it out of Germany, rather than transport it in any other way) you can make a customs declaration at the border through which you are leaving the EU. If the vehicle is worth less than 1.000 euros and weighs no more than 1.000kg you can make this declaration orally.

Otherwise, you must lodge a declaration via the electronic ATLAS export procedure. Your chosen shipping company can help you with this.

In addition, you must obtain export licence plates (Ausfuhrkennzeichen) for your vehicle. You can get these at your local vehicle registration office.

Be aware that your destination country will have its own process for testing and registering imported cars. You may also be required to pay import duties. Check with the car registration authority in your home country to make sure you are complying with all necessary regulations.

Read also

  • Driving in Germany

    Driving in Germany

    Everything about cars and driving in Germany: driver's licences, learning to drive, registering cars, taxes, insurance, inspections / TÜV & importing cars.
    read more
  • Driving licence in Germany

    Driving licence in Germany

    How long can you use foreign driving licences in Germany? How do you exchange, replace or renew your licence? All the info expats need on driver's licences.
    read more
  • Car insurance in Germany

    Car insurance in Germany

    Expats driving in Germany need car insurance (third-party, partial or comprehensive). Find out how to take out car insurance and get an eVB number.
    read more
  • German motor vehicle tax & Emissions badges

    German motor vehicle tax & Emissions badges

    Vehicle taxes & emissions badges in Germany: what are they, who needs them, how do you get one and how much do they cost?
    read more
  • Registering a vehicle in Germany

    Registering a vehicle in Germany

    All vehicles in Germany need to be registered with the local authorities. We walk you through the registration process, the required documents and costs.
    read more
  • German periodic technical inspection (Hauptuntersuchung / TÜV)

    German periodic technical inspection (Hauptuntersuchung / TÜV)

    Make sure your car meets German safety requirements by having a technical inspection (TÜV): where to get one, the cost and what to do if your car fails.
    read more
  • The German autobahn

    The German autobahn

    Discover history, traffic laws and facts & figures in our guide to driving on the German autobahn, world-famous as the highway without a speed limit.
    read more
  • Learning how to drive in Germany

    Learning how to drive in Germany

    Learning to drive in Germany is done through a driving school and involves taking an eye test & first aid course, as well as theory and practical exams.
    read more
  • German road signs

    German road signs

    Drivers in Germany should be familiar with the different German road signs and their meanings, including warning, regulation, guide and supplemental signs.
    read more
  • Transportation in Germany

    Transportation in Germany

    A guide to the German public transportation system for expats: public transport (S- & U-Bahn, tram), taxis, trains, coaches, long-distance buses & driving.
    read more