Official issues

Official issues

Have you moved to Germany or are you thinking of relocating here? In a country famed for its bureaucracy, there are quite a few things that newly-arrived expats need to take care of. Many of these things need to be sorted out before you even arrive in Germany. Some processes, such as visa applications, can last up to several months, so it is wise to start preparing for your move well in advance.

German visas

Depending on your nationality, you may need a visa before you are allowed to enter Germany. Visas in Germany cover both short- and long-term stays: while Schengen visas enable you to stay for a period of up to 90 days, national visas enable you to enter Germany if you wish to stay longer than this, or if you wish to work. This type of visa is then converted into a residence permit once you have arrived.  

Residence permits in Germany

In contrast to many other countries, there are no separate work permits in Germany. Instead, various different types of residence permits are on offer, which determine the extent to which you are allowed to work. They can be broadly divided into two types: temporary residence permits, which are usually valid for 12 months, and permanent residence permits, which allow you to remain in Germany indefinitely. Find out about the different types of residence permits you can apply for and learn what to expect during the residence permit application procedure.

Registering (anmelden) in Germany

If you are planning on staying in Germany for longer than three months, or you wish to work or study here, you will need to register your address at your local citizens’ office (Bürgeramt). Once you have registered, you will receive your registration certificate (Anmeldebescheinigung), an important piece of paperwork that you will need for all kinds of other bureaucratic processes in Germany.

German taxes & Tax IDs

Another important piece of paperwork you will receive after registering is your tax ID (steuerliche Identifikationsnummer). This unique number will be issued to you automatically by the Federal Central Tax Office, and you will need it in order to receive the correct salary, contribute to social security and to pay taxes in Germany. If your tax affairs are complicated, for instance, if you have multiple sources of income, you might consider consulting a tax advisor.

Banking in Germany

You’ll need a German bank account in order to get paid, rent a property or take out German health insurance. Luckily, there are plenty of banks and bank accounts in Germany to suit all preferences and requirements. Opening an account is generally a quick and easy process, and with an increasing number of online-only banks, you don’t even need to leave the house!

Blocked bank account (Sperrkonto)

If you are coming from outside the EU and you won't have a source of income in Germany, you might also consider opening a blocked bank account (Sperrkonto) to prove you have the financial means to support yourself for your visa or residence permit application. 

German citizenship & passport

The most common way for expats to get German citizenship is by naturalisation. In most cases, you will be expected to take a naturalisation test. Depending on where you were born and the nationality of your parents, you may also qualify by “right of soil” or “right of blood”. Once you have gained German citizenship, you can apply for a German passport.

Elections & voting

Expats have limited voting rights in Germany. If you are from a non-EU country, you are not eligible to vote. If, however, you have European citizenship, you are allowed to vote in local and EU elections. Non-German citizens are not permitted to vote in either general or state elections in Germany.

Pensions & retirement

It’s never too soon to start thinking about retirement! In fact, if you are working in Germany, contributing to a statutory pension insurance scheme is compulsory. Retirement planning in Germany is split into three pillars: state pensions, company pensions and private pensions, meaning there are options open to everybody, including self-employed and freelance workers. Learn about the different types of pensions in Germany.

Social Security ID

Your social security ID is a very important document - be sure not to lose it! It will usually be issued to you automatically once you enrol in the social security system (e.g. if you take out health insurance or start contributing to a pension). You will need your ID if you start a new job, claim benefits like unemployment benefit, or wish to start drawing your pension.

English-speaking lawyers

Need advice on citizenship, immigration, visa applications or residence permits? Tackling bureaucracy in a new country is always difficult, especially if you don’t speak the language. Luckily, our selection of expat-friendly lawyers are on hand to assist you in any way they can.

Read also

  • Lawyers & Legal services in Germany

    Lawyers & Legal services in Germany

    Need English-speaking legal services or advice? Check our list of expat-friendly German and international law firms, advisors and lawyers in Germany.
    read more
  • Relocation services & Companies in Germany

    Relocation services & Companies in Germany

    Are you or your international employees relocating to Germany? You’ll need an expat-friendly company or service to assist you with your move!
    read more
  • Residence permit in Germany

    Residence permit in Germany

    Information for expats on applying for a residence permit in Germany (Aufenthaltstitel): the types of residence permit and the application procedure.
    read more
  • Information and types of visa for Germany

    Information and types of visa for Germany

    Visas cover both short-term and long-term stays in Germany: information on the different types of German visa and the visa application procedure.
    read more
  • Registration in Germany

    Registration in Germany

    How to get registered as an expat: info on registration certificate, tax ID and the documents you need for the registration process (Anmeldung) in Germany.
    read more
  • Registration certificate (Anmeldebescheinigung)

    Registration certificate (Anmeldebescheinigung)

    How to get a confirmation of registration and Tax ID: the German registration certificate (Anmeldebescheinigung) and registration appointment (Anmeldung).
    read more
  • Banking in Germany & Money transfers

    Banking in Germany & Money transfers

    Information for expats on banking in Germany and making international money transfers: the German banking system, blocked accounts, credit cards and loans.
    read more
  • Blocked bank account in Germany (Sperrkonto)

    Blocked bank account in Germany (Sperrkonto)

    A blocked account (Sperrkonto) enables those coming to Germany from outside the EU to study or find a job prove they have sufficient finance resources.
    read more
  • Tax ID Germany (steuerliche Identifikationsnummer)

    Tax ID Germany (steuerliche Identifikationsnummer)

    Information for expats on the German Tax ID (steuerliche Identifikationsnummer, Steuer-ID, IdNr.): how to apply, the Tax Number, replacing a lost Tax ID.
    read more
  • German citizenship (deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit)

    German citizenship (deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit)

    Info for expats applying for German citizenship: the requirements, exceptions and cost, conditions for dual citizenship and application procedure in Germany.
    read more
  • German courses

    German courses

    Interested in learning German? These language schools in Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne and other German cities all offer German courses for expats.
    read more
  • The German passport (deutscher Reisepass)

    The German passport (deutscher Reisepass)

    Info about the German passport for expats: how to apply, application procedure costs, validity and advice if your passport is lost or stolen in Germany.
    read more
  • German elections & Expat voting rights

    German elections & Expat voting rights

    Learn about German elections: political parties, your voting rights as an expat, how to register to vote and get your polling card / Wahlbenachrichtigung.
    read more
  • Pensions & Retirement age in Germany

    Pensions & Retirement age in Germany

    Info for expats on the German pension system: retirement age, state, company and private pension systems in Germany, eligibility, contributions and benefits.
    read more
  • Social security ID (Sozialversicherungsausweis)

    Social security ID (Sozialversicherungsausweis)

    What is a social security ID (Sozialversicherungsausweis / Rentenversicherungsausweis) and why do you need one in Germany? Info and tips for expats.
    read more
  • Taxation in Germany

    Taxation in Germany

    All expats need to know about taxation & the tax system in Germany, responsible tax authorities, ELSTER & asking tax advisors for help with German taxes.
    read more
  • Social security in Germany

    Social security in Germany

    The German social security system: info on benefits and allowances available for expats in the case of sickness, unemployment, old age or low income.
    read more
  • Family & Kids

    Family & Kids

    Everything expats need to know about family life in Germany: marriage, divorce & separation, pregnancy & childbirth, birth certificates and parental leave.
    read more
  • Integration & Certification in Germany

    Integration & Certification in Germany

    There are several kinds of integration and German language certification exams that expats need, for jobs, visas, university & citizenship applications.
    read more
  • Driving in Germany

    Driving in Germany

    Everything about cars and driving in Germany: driver's licences, learning to drive, registering cars, taxes, insurance, inspections / TÜV & importing cars.
    read more