Social security in Germany

Social security in Germany

Social security in Germany

Expats living and working in Germany make regular contributions to the social security system (Sozialversicherungssystem). This comprehensive, collectively-financed system is designed to protect the livelihood of anyone who might require extra support.

As well as a system of compulsory, statutory insurance schemes that cover Germany’s residents in the event of sickness, old age or unemployment, there are various benefits and allowances available to help anyone on a low income cover basic living costs.

German statutory insurance system

Anyone who is employed in Germany is required to make compulsory social security contributions. The contribution burden is split evenly between you and your employer, meaning that the average total social security contribution is around 20 - 22% of your salary. Your social security contributions are deducted directly from your monthly pay by your employer and cover the following areas:

Statutory Health Insurance (gesetzliche Krankenversicherung - GKV)

Almost everyone is required to contribute to statutory health insurance (currently around 90% of the population is covered by a GKV scheme). If you are self-employed, or you earn more than 64.350 euros per year, you can choose to take out private health insurance or voluntarily contribute to GKV.

Your contribution is around 14,6% of your gross salary, split equally between you and your employer (7,3% each), up to a maximum monthly income of 4.837,50 euros. GKV covers most medical costs, including hospital treatment, dental care and medicines.

Contributing to a statutory health insurance scheme also automatically qualifies you for sickness benefit (Krankengeld) and maternity benefit (Mutterschaftsgeld) (see below).

Pension insurance (Rentenversicherung - RV)

Anyone working in Germany is obliged to participate in a pension insurance scheme. Over time, your contributions build up to provide you with a basic provision for your retirement. If you are self-employed (i.e. you run your own business or are a freelancer), you can choose whether to opt into the statutory pension insurance scheme or start a private pension plan.

The statutory contribution is currently 18,7% of your salary (9,35% each for employee and employer), up to a maximum contribution ceiling of 7.100 euros in West Germany and 6.700 euros in East Germany.

Long-term care insurance (Pflegeversicherung)

Since 1995, everyone in Germany has been required to contribute to long-term care insurance, which covers you in the event of your needing care due to old age, accident or illness.  Anyone who has statutory health insurance is automatically covered; if you have private health insurance you may need to specifically apply for long-term care insurance.

The contribution is currently 3,05% of your gross income (plus an extra 0,25% if you don't have children) up to a maximum contribution ceiling of 4.837,50 a month in both East and West Germany. This contribution (excluding the surcharge for childless people) is split equally between you and your employer. The deductions are transferred to your health insurance scheme.

Unemployment insurance (Arbeitlosenversicherung)

Workers in Germany are also required to contribute to unemployment insurance. These contributions are used to provide unemployment benefits to anyone who is out of work.

The contribution is currently 2,4% of your gross salary, up to a monthly maximum limit of 7.100 euros in West Germany and 6.700 euros in East Germany. The contribution is shared by you and your employer (1,2% each).

To make sure everyone can access the unemployment insurance scheme, you can also make voluntary unemployment contributions, if you are:

  • Self-employed for at least 15 hours a week
  • Employed outside Germany in a non-EU country
  • On a course of occupational further training
  • On parental leave beyond the child’s 3rd birthday

Occupational accident insurance (Unfallversicherung)

Established in Germany in 1884, occupational accident insurance offers protection and assistance in the event of workplace accidents or job-related illnesses. If you are employed or in occupational training, you are automatically covered, no matter what salary you earn. The insurance scheme also covers school-age children and students. If you are self-employed or run your own business, you can take out voluntary insurance for yourself (and your spouse if they work with you).

In the event of an accident at work or occupational illness, the statutory insurance covers:

  • Payment for medical treatment (including rehabilitation)
  • Benefits and services to aid your reintegration into the workforce (e.g. training)
  • Compensation for you and your dependents.

The contributions for statutory accident insurance are funded entirely by your employer, meaning you will be covered at no extra cost to yourself.

Social security ID (Sozialversicherungsausweis)

Once you start making contributions to the statutory insurance scheme, you will be automatically issued with a social security ID (Sozialversicherungsausweis) to prove that you are a member of the system. You will need this ID if you want to start a new job, claim benefits, or start drawing a pension.

Benefits & Allowances in Germany

As well as statutory health insurance, pension insurance, unemployment insurance and long-term care insurance, the German government’s social security system also provides several different benefits and allowances. These are available for anyone on a lower income to help them cover basic subsistence costs such as rent and raising children:

Housing benefit (Wohngeld)

Housing in Germany can be expensive. To ensure that everyone has adequate, family-friendly housing, the German government provides housing benefit to those who have lower incomes.

This benefit can either be rent support (Mietzuschuss), for tenants who are renting, or mortgage and home upkeep support (Lastenzuschuss), for those who own a house.

Child benefits (Kindergeld)

To support parents with the costs of raising children and providing them with food, clothing and education, the government provides child benefits to almost all parents in Germany. There are various benefits and allowances that parents can benefit from.

Maternity benefit (Mutterschaftsgeld)

If you are a member of a statutory health insurance scheme, you are entitled to maternity benefit for six weeks before and at least eight weeks after childbirth. If you are not covered by a statutory insurance scheme, you can also claim benefit from the Federal Insurance Office.

Parental allowance (Elterngeld)

Parental allowance is also available to both parents to support them during the first months of their child’s life. The benefit offsets loss of earnings and enables both mother and father to rest with their new baby.

Sickness benefit (Krankengeld)

Anyone who contributes to a statutory health insurance scheme automatically qualifies for sickness benefit. If you are unable to work due to illness, you will be covered by for up to 78 weeks, either your employer or your health insurance provider.

Child sickness benefit (Kinderkrankengeld)

If your child falls ill, you are legally entitled to take time off work to take care of them. Some employers will continue paying your salary; if not, your public health insurance provider will step in. The child sickness benefit (Kinderkrankengeld) partially reimburses you for any lost earnings.

Tax credits

Additionally, there are many tax-free allowances that expats might be eligible for, including costs for childcare or education and statutory insurance contributions. You can find out more about these deductions, and how you can take advantage of them, on our Annual tax return page.

Read also

  • Sickness benefit in Germany (Krankengeld)

    Sickness benefit in Germany (Krankengeld)

    Info for expats on sickness benefit in Germany: eligibility requirements, how to apply and how much sickness benefit (Krankengeld) you will receive.
    read more
  • Unemployment benefits in Germany (Arbeitslosengeld)

    Unemployment benefits in Germany (Arbeitslosengeld)

    How to apply for unemployment benefits in Germany (Arbeitslosengeld I & II / Hartz IV) as an expat: the requirements and the value and duration of benefit.
    read more
  • Housing benefit in Germany (Wohngeld)

    Housing benefit in Germany (Wohngeld)

    Eligible for housing benefit (Wohngeld)? All the info expats need on the requirements, application and income thresholds for rent and home upkeep support.
    read more
  • Child benefits in Germany (Kindergeld)

    Child benefits in Germany (Kindergeld)

    How to claim child benefits (Kindergeld), including all the eligibility requirements, how to apply, payment amounts, age limit and tax-free allowances info.
    read more
  • Maternity benefit in Germany (Mutterschaftsgeld)

    Maternity benefit in Germany (Mutterschaftsgeld)

    Information for expats on maternity benefit in Germany (Mutterschaftsgeld): statutory maternity leave and pay, eligibility requirements and how to apply.
    read more
  • Parental allowance in Germany (Elterngeld)

    Parental allowance in Germany (Elterngeld)

    New parents may qualify for the German parental allowance (Elterngeld or ElterngeldPlus). Check the payments value, requirements and application process.
    read more
  • Child sickness benefit in Germany (Kinderkrankengeld)

    Child sickness benefit in Germany (Kinderkrankengeld)

    Everything expats in Germany need to know about the child sickness benefit (Kinderkrankengeld): eligibility, how to apply and how much you will receive.
    read more
  • Long-term care insurance in Germany (Pflegeversicherung)

    Long-term care insurance in Germany (Pflegeversicherung)

    Info for expats on German long-term care insurance: requirements, assessment, application and benefits for long-term nursing due to sickness or old age.
    read more
  • Social security ID (Sozialversicherungsausweis)

    Social security ID (Sozialversicherungsausweis)

    What is a social security ID (Sozialversicherungsausweis / Rentenversicherungsausweis) and why do you need one in Germany? Info and tips for expats.
    read more
  • Taxation in Germany

    Taxation in Germany

    All expats need to know about taxation & the tax system in Germany, responsible tax authorities, ELSTER & asking tax advisors for help with German taxes.
    read more
  • Official issues

    Official issues

    There are various bureaucratic issues expats in Germany need to deal with, like visas, residence permits, registration, banking, tax IDs and citizenship.
    read more