What is a transport association (Verkehrsverbund)?
A transport association (Verkehrsverbund) coordinates public transport in and around a city. It usually involves several different companies (e.g. the different operators of S-Bahn, U-Bahn, bus and tram networks) operating under the same integrated system to ensure:
- A single fare system
- A standardised range of tickets recognised by all transport companies
- Coordinated timetables
Public transport networks in Germany
Listed below are the contact details for the transport associations in the largest cities in Germany. Through the websites you can access route maps, timetables, fare details and even buy tickets.
Although most have websites in English, in general, the information provided by the German websites tends to be much more comprehensive.
Berlin - Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG)
Using public transport in Berlin
Cologne - Kölner Verkehrs-Betriebe (KVB)
- Customer centre: U-Bahn Neumarkt, Cäcilienstraße 48, 50667 Cologne
- Call: 0221 547 3654 (enquiries) or 01806 50 40 30 (timetables & prices)
- Visit the KVB website (English)
- Your tickets are also valid in many areas of southern North-Rhine Westphalia, as part of the greater Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Sieg network.
Düsseldorf - Rheinbahn
- Customer centre: Hauptbahnhof, Immermannstraße 65 a-d, 40210 Düsseldorf
- Call: 01806 50 40 30
- Visit the Rheinbahn website (German)
- Your tickets are also valid in many areas of the Rhine-Ruhr region, as part of the greater Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr network.
Frankfurt - Verkehrsgesellschaft Frankfurt am Main (VGF)
- Customer centre: U-Bahn Bockenheimer Warte, 60325 Frankfurt am Main
- Call: 069 21303
- Visit the VGF website (English)
- Your tickets are also valid beyond Frankfurt, to cities such as Mainz, Wiesbaden and Darmstadt as part of the greater Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund network.
Using public transport in Frankfurt
Hamburg - Hamburger Verkehrsverbund (HVV)
Munich (München) - Münchner Verkehrs- und Tarifverbund (MVV)
- Customer centre: S-Bahn Hauptbahnhof, Bayerstraße 10A, 80335 Munich
- Call: 0 89 41 42 43 44
- Visit the MVV website (English)